Financial Aid and Scholarships

Financial Aid & Scholarships

Financial Aid Information:

What information do I need to fill out the FAFSA online?

 * Your Social Security card or number or Alien registration card or number

    *  2016 Federal Tax forms to complete 2016 income

  *    Most recent 2017 bank statements

  *     Any records of un-taxed income such as welfare benefits, Social Security

      benefits, or child support payments

 *      List of colleges you are interested in attending

 *      FSA ID for parent and for student


How can DNHS Counseling Office support seniors and their families through the financial aid process?  This short powerpoint presentation (16 slides) will explain how!  See it here.

FSA ID:  Parents and seniors are each required to have a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID to access and "sign" their FAFSA online.  Each FSA ID must have a unique email address. This FSA ID replaces the PIN number.   To create a FSA ID, click on "Create an FSA ID now" at the top of the Federal Student Aid page.

Please use this link; do not search for this site as there are scam websites.  The FAFSA should be filed online in October or November of senior year. It will determine eligibility for federal financial aid for college and vocational training.  Workshops will be offered in October to assist seniors and their parents/guardians with this application.  Applicants must establish a FSA ID to access the FAFSA.  If you started a FAFSA before May 10, 2015, your "Safe Key" is your original FAFSA password.  There will be major changes in the filing times for the FAFSA for 2018-19:  the FAFSA will be available starting Oct. 1st and will use the 2016 tax year information (same information used for the 2017-18 FAFSA).  More information is available here.   

Understanding your financial aid award letter:  This short Youtube video is about understanding your financial aid award offer and comparing offers from different colleges/vocational programs.

Cal Grant Information

DNHS Counseling Office assists all seniors in submitting their GPA as part of applying for Cal Grants.  To be eligible for a Cal Grant, seniors must also complete their FAFSA by March 2nd and meet GPA and income eligibility.  Seniors eligible for Cal Grants should sign up for a WebGrants 4 Students account to manage their Cal Grant at the California Student Aid Commission website:  click here

Some financial aid may be taxable:  Students whoreceive scholarships in excess of the cost of tuition, fees, and books, may have to pay income tax on that "income."  Colleges will send a 1098-T each year with amounts for "qualified tuition and related expenses" as well as the amounts for "scholarships or grants."  Scholarships and grants that are used for housing and living expenses are taxable.  The IRS figures you must pay for living expenses whether or not you are in college.  College students should set aside some money if they expect to have to file income taxes.  See see if you will need to file.

To be eligible for federal financial aid, first time college students must have a diploma or GED.  Also,the federal Pell Grant is limited to 12 semesters and there have been changes to the loan program.  Family maximum income has dropped from $32,000 to $23,000 for students to have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $0.  For more detailed information, please go to the FAFSA website or click on  "Learn about recent changes" under Announcements.  

Sample Student Aid Report from the FAFSA:  This is a sample Student Aid Report (SAR) that is generated after submitting the FAFSA.  Please double-check that all the information submitted was correct.  Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is listed:  this is the amount that is expected to be contributed by parents for their student's education for one year.

FAFSA on the web Worksheet:  this worksheet will help you know what information you will need to complete your FAFSA online.  The actual FAFSA is online at

Federal Student Aid:  Federal Student Aid is an office of the US Dept. of Education.  Honest information about preparing for college, types of financial aid, how to qualify, the FAFSA, and how to manage student loans.

California Student Aid Commission (CSAC)

California Student Aid Commission oversees the Cal Grant program, Cash for College Workshops, the Dream Act, and other state financial aid.  They are located at .

Chafee Grant Information for Foster Youth

Seniors who have been in foster care may be eligible for up to $5,000 under the Chafee Grant.  This is a federal grant and may be used in other states. The application and information are available on the CSAC website.

California Dream Act (AB 131) for undocumented students eligible for AB 540 (attended a California high school at least 3 years and graduated from one) allows them to apply for and receive state-funded financial aid such as institutional grants, community college fee waivers, Cal Grant and Chafee Grant.  AB 130 allows students who meet AB 540 criteria to apply for and receive non-state funded scholarships for public colleges and universities.  For more information, talk to your School Counselor or visit the California Student Aid Commission website.  A flyer on tips for filling out your Dream Act application is here.  A resource guide for DACA students ishere.  DACA students must use the Dream Act to apply for State financial aid.  They are not eligible for federal student aid and should not use the FAFSA.

Scholarship Information:

Del Norte Scholarship Foundation: The Del Norte Scholarship Foundation application is available March 1st and is DUE FRIDAY, MARCH 23 at noon.  Applications will open in March for the 2018-19 year. All Del Norte County seniors with a 2.0 GPA or above are eligible to apply.  Find the application here.  You will need to download the application if you want a pdf fillable document that you can type in and then print.  

To email Del Norte Scholarship Foundation, use this email address:

The Del Norte Scholarship Foundation (DNSF) is a community based foundation that provides scholarships to graduating seniors from Del Norte County Schools so they may obtain education beyond the secondary school level.  Scholarships are awarded at a ceremony in June.

Instructions for How to Claim your Award from the Del Norte Scholarship Foundation and contact information for scholarship coordinator.

DNHS Scholarship Database:  The DNHS Counseling Office maintains a listing of scholarship for which DNHS students might be eligible.  Seniors are encouraged to check this page regularly. Click here for the most current Scholarship List. February 2017

Humboldt Area Foundation Scholarships: Del Norte and Humboldt county seniors can use one application to apply to the Humboldt Area Foundation ( scholarships starting January 15th.  They are open NOW. Applications aredue on March 16th. For more information, please visit this link.  

Free Scholarship Search Websites:

Humboldt State University Scholarship Information:  This database may have scholarships available for Del Norte County seniors.   The link is here.

University of California Blue & Gold Plan: The UC system offers the Blue & Gold Plan to students whose families earn $80,000 or less per year.  The Blue & Gold Plan will cover systemwide tuition and fees and associated grants may also be available for books and supplies and housing.  For more information, please see this flyer here or check the website:

Dependent Children of Disabled Veterans: The dependent child of a service-connected disabled or service-connected deceased veteran may be entitled to tuition and fee waiver benefits at any campus of the California State University system, University of California or California Community College system.  (This waiver may be available in other states subject to residency requirements.) For more information, please visit:  

California Dept. of Veterans Affairs  

California Association of County

Veterans Service Office Offices

or contact:

Gerald Cochran, County Veterans Service Officer

810 H Street, Crescent City CA (707) 464-2154   

Gates Millenium Scholarship Program:  The Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) Program, funded by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, was established in 1999 to provide outstanding African American, American Indian/Alaska Native*, Asian Pacific Islander American**, and Hispanic American students with an opportunity to complete an undergraduate college education in any discipline area of interest. Continuing Gates Millennium Scholars may request funding for a graduate degree program in one of the following discipline areas: computer science, education, engineering, library science, mathematics, public health or science.  Seniors must be Pell-eligible to receive this scholarship. The scholarship will cover any unmet financial aid need and is renewable DNHS offers a workshop for this application in December. Applications are due in January on their website:

Scholarships for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) students are available on pages 38-42 of the Resource Guide here.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.